This map shows all the current locations of Los Angeles Cooling Centers. The Centers are listed by city for easy access. In the event of a power outage, if your local Center is closed, please use the list below to identify a center nearby.
If you are planning to visit one of these Cooling Centers, it is advisable that you call in advance to make sure there is still seating available. If a Cooling Center is not operational, check the attached list for another Cooling Center nearest you or call 211 for LA County or 311 for LA City. Check with your local library when looking for a place to cool down. They have great resources and plenty to read while you escape the heat.
Below are safety tips that will help you protect yourself and stay safe in the hot weather. If you plan to be outdoors, please take precautions to protect yourself from the sun and heat.
- Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. when the burning rays are strongest.
- Reduce physical activity.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and light colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors
- Avoid hot, heavy meals that include proteins.
- Set your air conditioner between 75° to 80°. If you don’t have air-conditioning take a cool shower twice a day and visit a public air conditioned facility.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol.
- Use sun screen with a sun protection factor of at least 15 if you need to be in the sun.
- Don’t forget about your pets, they need plenty of water and shade.
- Insulate your home by installing weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the cool air inside.